Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sometimes you never know...

It all started with trips to the firestation with JM back when he was little. You would think that Ben's obsession with the fire department would begin to wear off over time, but here I was last night walking the neighborhood with Ben putting out "fires". Odd since there was no sign that there were fires in the area, but Ben put on his fire coat and hat, carried his plastic ax, wore his fire boots (really last years snow shoes), and carried his "medical kit". Being only 4 he's not allowed to wander alone so the "fire chief " had to go also. So, yes, doning my white fire chief's helment and carring my own medical kit, we wandered our neighborhood putting out fires and helping "heart attack" victims. Did you know that last night it was really hot out...Did you also know that Ben's gear is all black. After a while I was able to talk him back into the airconditioned house with the promise of an ice cream sundae.

I also started my new job yesterday. I finished Day Two and am beginning to feel a part of things. It is not easy joining a team that has been working together for so long that some are retiring together. The great news is they are amazing, dedicated professionals so I am in good hands. Dress code is very different than Brooks Brothers. It is nice to have the choice! I'm learning the recruiting side of HR which is very different.

I came in on my first day to fresh flowers from my boss's garden and a gift bag with a self development book - How full is your bucket along with a new tea mug and teas. Yeah! I felt very welcomed eventhough she had meetings most of the day. Luckily I am pretty self-reliant and she had left me a small stack of information to read.

Today I felt like I was part of the group and that I'll be able to contribute to the success of the Team. It is a great feeling. I'm researching technology and offering suggestions. I'm also trying to learn everything I can about how schools work. Not an easy thing, but really, its only day two! Sometimes I do notice that I expect much more of myself than is realistic too.

It is now pretty late and I need some sleep so I am refreshed and ready to go tomorrow.

Peace to all who read this blog today and everyday.
Joan

1 comment:

Mary B said...

So glad it went well Joan! and I for one am glad to know there are still little boys who dream of being heros.